Follow Us On Facebook

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

George Roger Waters v. Andrew Lloyd Webber

"We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
And breaks his fucking fingers
It's a miracle."


I've always wondered what this harsh commentary on Andrew Lloyd Webber from Roger Waters' song, "It's A Miracle", was all about. Yesterday (I think) I figured it out. Not only does Waters think Lloyd Webber's music is shallow, rubbish, and has no value, "Waters [also] asserted that Webber had plagiarized music from Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for sections of the musical The Phantom of the Opera."

Once I listened to both tracks, I realized that the similarities between the two are uncanny.
I don't know if this quote from Waters is for real, but it is amusing: "I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's the same time signature - it's 12/8 - and it's the same structure and it's the same notes and it's the same everything. Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber. I think that might make me really gloomy."

As if Waters isn't already a gloomy sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment