Follow Us On Facebook

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Theme: Walls: Simon and Garfunkel "I Am A Rock"


Every once in a while we put up walls to prevent others from getting close to us and "I Am A Rock" (Simon, Garfunkel 1965) illustrates this perfectly. If you have no emotional attachments, you never get hurt, right? The singer needs only his books and poetry to keep him company:
I have my books
And my poetry to protect me; 
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island. 
 
I am reminded of Penny Lane's character from 'Almost Famous' (dir. Cameron Crowe 2000) when she says: "I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt, ya never get hurt, ya always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment