Follow Us On Facebook

Friday, June 17, 2011

Yoko Ono Theme: Roger Waters























This next song following the them of 'Yoko Ono' is by one of my all-time favorite artists. Roger Waters' 1984 solo album, 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking', follows the Floydian tradition of releasing concept albums.

This particular album, which happens to feature Eric Clapton on guitar, explores the dream of a middle-aged man having a mid-life crisis. The song titles tell you the exact time a part of the dream is occurring. For example, the first song is titled "4:30AM (Apparently They Were Traveling Abroad)", indicating that the dream begins at 4:30 in the morning.

However, an analysis of the entire album is not what I am writing about today.
Back to Yoko Ono!

I don't have much to say about this lyric from the title track "5:01AM (The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Pt. 10)", but I find it interesting nonetheless:

I'm standing on the leading edge
The Eastern seaboard spread before my eyes
"Jump!" says Yoko Ono
"I'm too scared and too good looking," I cried
"Go on," she says "Why don't you give it a try?
Why prolong the agony? All men must die."

And

Did you understand the music, Yoko
Or was it all in vain?
Bitch said something mystical
So I stepped back 'round the curb again.

If I remember correctly, these lyrics are based on an actual dream that Waters' drummer, Andy Newmark, had.



No comments:

Post a Comment