Follow Us On Facebook

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Theme: Guns: The Beatles' "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"



In many cases the word 'gun' can take on multiple interpretations. This is especially true for the Beatles' "Happiness is a Warm Gun" (Lennon/McCartney 1968). One evaluation of the gun in "Happiness" has been said to be a metaphor for Lennon's 'sexual appetite' at the time. Lennon has admitted the relation between guns and sex: "that was the beginning of my relationship with Yoko and I was very sexually oriented then" (Sheff 188).

When I hold you in my arms
And I feel my finger on your trigger
I know nobody can do me no harm
Because happiness is a warm gun.

Another metaphor of the 'warm gun' or 'loaded gun' is heroin (Lennon had well documented stints with heroin, at the time); although I believe the sexual interpretation to be more likely.

Lastly, in the film Across the Universe (Julie Taymor 2007) the gun is interpreted literally. The film takes place in what we assume to be the Vietnam War era and one of the main characters, Max, is in the hospital due to war (gunshot?) injuries.

Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang, bang, shoot, shoot.

Not-so fun fact: Ironically, Lennon was shot and killed by Mark David Chapman in 1980 in the street outside of his apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment